Friday, August 20, 2010

Marriage Counseling

July 18th of this year offered the official exit for Pat and I from newlywed-dom. We are still new at this game, but the formal title has since expired and we are now on our own, no excuses.

It was just prior to our first wedding anniversary that I was unintentionally subjected to marriage counseling by the unlikliest of sources... my 9 year old nephew, Austin.

Austin was up visiting for the weekend. He loves coming to, "Chicago," so much that he will even settle for just his ole Auntie Ash when Pat is away for work. This was one of those weekends.

Austin and I had just exited a movie and sat down at Buffalo Wild Wings to eat dinner. Being 9, Austin was more intent on the video game at the table and his soon-to-be delivered hot wings than a conversation with me. I felt like I was dining alone. Then suddenly, he interupts my thoughts and offers me some advice.

Austin: "I don't have a girlfriend anymore. I pretty much just like being single."
Me: Really? What about Izzy? I thought you really liked her?
Austin: "Yea, but she always wanted it her way. That's how girls are. I wanted to play football at recess and she always made me chase her."
Me: "Do you think that is how all girls are?"
Austin: "Yea, that is why I don't think I'm going to get married."
Me: "Pat and I are married and we are happy."
Austin: "Yea, but wives nag. They always say you have to take the garbage out or clean up. You can't be like that Ash. It starts with recess and ends with the garbage."
Me: So that's what you think, huh?
Austin: "Yea, if you wanna keep married you can't be nagging. You gotta let Pat do what he wants."
Me: "So, I should say he can play football?"
Austin: "Yea, it's the only way."

My nephew can be a guy of few words, but when he has something to say, he likes to be heard. I definitely heard him that day. I laughed and relayed that story to Pat and my parents, but I never forgot his advice.

From that day on, I was careful to make sure Pat felt he had his freedom. But, for some reason, he still likes to chase me around..... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment