Monday, December 14, 2009

"Tis the Season...

I have been feeling relatively uninspired to blog lately. The times that I do blog, the inspiration hits me like a ton of bricks; the thoughts and words rushing through my brain, faster than I can type. Lately though, no bricks. I've experienced a light wind here and there, but nothing so strong that I felt compelled to rush to the computer.

Today, however, my insights have been requested. My dearest, Courtney Ann C*&$%#n, has inquired about my next posting. I regaled her with my woeful tale of my lack of inspiration, but struck a deal. If she could provide me with the topic, I would muster up enough motivation to spit at few words out. And, so, here we are.

As a result, I hereby dedicate today's blog to Corie. The topic: Christmas Spirit. Specific tangents could stem from frenzied shopping to my generosity to bums on the street (aka her nemesis).

She might sound a wee bit "Scrooge-ish," with declaring bums to be her nemesi (is that the plural??), but she has good reason. She has "regular," stationed outside of the CVS by her Gold-Coast Single-Lady Hot-Spot Studio Apartment. One evening, he begged her for some money because he was hungry while he was sitting within a throne of McDonald's wrappers. Thus, she is still feeling justifyably slighted by the homeless population. She chose to mention me because I, on the other hand, have a hard time saying no. In the past, I have been incapable of passing by those in need and not offering forth good-will. I was required to minimize my time spent on the streets of Chicago, because the president of the North Shore Bums Association had circulated my picture among the members and I was being targeted for my dollar bills. As a result, I have happily adopted a new hobby of making my donations, particularly during the holiday season, to legitimate organizations via the internet. My favorite being, St. Jude Children's Hospital.

Another thing that I do from the safety and coziness of mi casa**, is Christmas shopping.This year, I have chosen to do the majority of my shopping online. Majority, meaning, all of it, so far. I have two gifts left to purchase which will finally require me to forge through the cold weather and menacing crowds. I feel a little less Christmas-y by not braving the throngs of people at the mall, but I have much preferred, this year to peruse webstites and have my gifts delivered to my door.

By nature, I am polite and patient. I hold doors for people, say "please," and "thank-you," and am happy to repeat myself if need be. BUT, in some situations, I throw manners to the wind and subsitute them with elbows. More specifically, at the bar when twigs with sweet-drinks drunkenly ram into me. I fear that this will be extended to the crowds hoarding shopping bags, and I have no intention of having a knock-down drag-out fight your Grandma. So, rather than risk it, I stayed in.

My favorite thing about the holiday season is inherited from my mother. Her love and artistic ability to wrap presents. There is no such thing as reindeer paper and commercial stick-on bows. Ohhhh no, we use bright and shiny foil paper and wire ribbon that sparkles. My mom spends a better part of the first 11 months of the year searching out present-toppers and dones the gifts with them come Christmas. It is truly an art form and she is the Monet. I am channeling my inner-Nancy, this year more than ever, and will be wrapping my packages with glitz, glamor, and personality! If you don't believe me, then pictures are to come....

Happy Holidays!

**P.S. I am equal opportunity. I like Mexicans. I also like: African-Americans, Asians, Italians, Parisians, The Greek, and Native Americans (I do however favor the Cherokee Tribe).

1 comment:

  1. You are the best. And I applaud your writing, your thoughts, and your sense of humor. Love you:)

    Courtney Ann C&*&#@^

    ReplyDelete