Friday, November 27, 2009

I'm the Newest Mrs. Barrett

I feel like a fraud.

I was sitting here, in the dark, creating my blog and I had to type...and retype....my name, 3 times.

I typed: Ashley Jens....

DELETE

Then, I typed: Ashley Jensen-Barre....

DELETE

Finally, I settled upon: Ashley Barrett.

That is, my name afterall. As of July 18, 2009, on my wedding day, that became my name. Well, again...fradulence. It wasn't actually my name until this past Wednesday. That date was November 25, if you are keen on pointing out my excessive tardiness. In addition to that, I technically hyphenated my name. I felt a tug of being proud of my given name and didn't want to lose that piece of me. So, legally, I am hyphenated. But, to you, my future students, and the mailman, I am: Mrs. Barrett.

I admit, I've slacked a bit on the name change post-the.best.day.of.my.life. It wasn't intentional, BUT, it was inconvenient. There are so many calls you have to make and I was whipping out my marriage license left and right to prove that I wasn't indeed, a fraud.

Turns out, I'm not. But, I'm not used to being Mrs. Barrett. She already exists. She is a terrific woman residing in a lovely home with a spectacular family and she can bake a mean dessert! I feel as though I am stealing her identity by claiming her name, when infact, I've only stolen....her son. I might be pushing my limits just a tad. I've married and kidnapped her only son for eternity, but now, on top of that, I'm legally requesting to share her name. Poor woman, what did she do to deserve that?

Luckily though, she is a good sport. I should be so lucky as to share that name with someone who has 28+ years experience in perfecting it. It is a lot to live up to.

The man at the DMV asked me why my husband wasn’t changing his name. I looked at him, momentarily dumbfounded, before I realized this was a secretary of state-style joke. I provided the obligatory giggle and he made me official. And, despite the reputation of long-lines at the dmv, all this identity changing business was signed, sealed, and delivered within 45 min.

I imagine lady luck won’t be as generous when I tackle the social security office on Monday….

No comments:

Post a Comment